16 Ecommerce SEO Tips to Keep You Ahead
A typical Ecommerce website contains a few hundred pages. An Ecommerce giant like Amazon contains thousands of products and millions of web pages. Optimizing a website like Amazon is not tough; it just requires a strong SEO strategy.
Optimizing an Ecommerce site is slightly different from optimizing a static website. You need to plan and construct your optimization strategy well in advance. This will help you save you a lot of time and effort in the future.
16 Ecommerce SEO Tips to Keep Your Website Ahead in Rankings and Traffic
1. Maintain a Uniform and Clean Website Structure: The home page of your website should reflect the product categories; while all the inner pages should follow a common webpage structure.
2. Use Unique Title Tag: Every product page should have a unique title. An Ecommerce site can contain any number of web pages. You can ask the programmer to code the title from the page content and product name. This makes your SEO more dynamic.
3. Select Appropriate Keywords: The keywords must be unique for every webpage. They must reflect the important phrases within the webpage content. For an Ecommerce site, you can ask the programmer to select keywords from the content and product name.
4. Create Relevant Description Per Web Page: The description of a web page is the snippet which appears in the SERPS. Every visitor reads the snippet and then clicks on the search result. It is very important to include a description relevant to the webpage content.
5. Include Breadcrumbs For All Inner Pages: A breadcrumb is like a secondary navigation structure. It helps the visitor to navigate back to the main product category page. A breadcrumb also helps in the internal linking of the website. Overall, including a breadcrumb makes the website SEO friendly.
6. Use Heading Tag: Searchbots give a lot of importance to the heading tag. The heading tag is SEO friendly and can be used to format the title of the web page content.
7. Avoid Usage of Flash: Avoid using flash in every web page of your Ecommerce website. This will increase the site loading time. If the use of flash is inevitable, include textual content in the flash. Search engines are capable of reading the text in the flash file.
8. Optimize The Images: Add the alt tag in all the images of your website. Search engines cannot read images. The Alt tag is a means of ensuring that the search engines read the alternate text for images.
9. Optimize The Anchor Text: Anchor text appears between the anchor opening and closing tag. It is a good practice to use keywords as the anchor text.
10. Create An SEO Friendly URL Structure: The default URL structure of a dynamic website contains parameters. Search engines are not capable of understanding these parameters. A good URL structure must contain words separated by hyphens.
11. Generate An XML Sitemap: An XML sitemap contains all the URL’s present in the website. Searchbots find it easy to find and index all the web pages in a site. If the number of web pages in a site is more, you can create a number of xml sitemaps. You can then submit these sitemaps to Google via the webmaster tool. E.g. sitemap1.xml, sitemap2.xml.
12. Limit The Number of Outbound Links: Always link to a safe and secure website. If you are not sure about the quality of the website you are linking out to, use the no follow attribute.
13. Submit To Search Directories: submit your website URL to good quality search directories. Most of the search directories take a few weeks to link back to a site. Fill the details of the submission form carefully, so that the administrator accepts the submission.
14. Submit to Article Directories and Social Bookmarking Sites: Article submission is the quickest way of obtaining high quality backlinks. You need to select the do follow bookmarking sites and submit the URL to them. Increase in traffic is a plus point of submitting to social bookmarking sites.
15. Integrate A Secure Payment Gateway: A secure payment gateway is the heart of an Ecommerce website. Get a trust seal from Verisign, TrustE etc. The visitors will trust your site enough to make an online payment.
16. Track User Behavior with a Good Analytics Tool: You can track and analyze the visitor’s behavior with a good analytics tool. You need to select an analytics tool based on your requirement. If your Ecommerce website operates on a large scale, you can opt for a paid analytics tool. Otherwise you can use a mix of a variety of free tools to obtain the best results.
It is very easy to rank well and get quality traffic with these tips. The trick is to maintain the balance of the site being SEO and user friendly. What steps do you take to optimize your Ecommerce website?